I believe bz's theory is that the <browser>'s binding was being
force-applied because the <browser> was being wrapped to be passed to
your JS-implemented content policy (as aContext). XBL bindings are
force-applied when an element in a document is JS-wrapped and its
binding hasn't yet been applied through normal mechanisms (i.e.
layout).

Gavin