In Bug 874587, we are considering using Core Location as the default geolocation provider on the Mac. This would replace the use of the NetworkGeolocationProvider (that currently points to GLS). After code reviews, we plan to enable this on Nightly and see how it goes.

On Android, we already due use the system location provider and not the NetworkGeolocationProvider... so this isn't something unexpected.

The main difference is that you will get one prompt from the OS the first time you use geolocation from Firefox -- just like every other standard Mac application.

Does anyone have any concern that is specific to change from the NetworkGeolocationProvider to a Mac platform specific one?