On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 12:51 AM, Mike Hommey <m...@glandium.org> wrote:
> Note that some "custom" schemes may be relying on empty host names. In
> Gecko, we have about:foo as well as resource:///foo. In both cases, foo
> is the path part.

about URLs don't have a host name. resource URLs might I suppose. Do
resource URLs support relative URLs? The main problem of the URL
Standard is that relative URLs becomes a fixed list of schemes. But
given the way URLs in browsers work there's not much we can do about
that.

There's a couple of things we can do for such URLs:

a) Standardize them and add their parsing behavior to the URL Standard.
b) Rework Gecko to no longer require them.
c) Rework the URL to no longer be one that supports relative URLs.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/