As a result of a discussion a few of us had today at the Toronto work week
about the use of appcache on the web (and if we should "fix it"), I did a quick
scan of the sites using appcache in Alexa's top ~50,000 websites (only includes
the landing page at a given URL).

Of the search, 16 sites were returned - 2 of which have appcache commented out.
1 site only enabled it for Mobile IE.

Details…

The data is from June, 2013 and includes around 53,000 HTML files. It was
downloaded from webdevdata.org. No user agent string was provided when
retrieving the data. Please see webdevdata.org if you have questions about how
the data is gathered.

From the data, the search I did was:

`
for b in */*.txt; do ( grep -lm 1 "\smanifest\s*=" $b ); done
`

The results are not representative, but nonetheless throw a little weight
towards the hypothesis that usage is generally low. A more in-depth look at
usage is obviously needed and not too much should be read into this data. It's
just a small data point.

The sites were:

metalsucks.net
capitalone.com