On 8/14/2013 3:07 PM, Adam Roach wrote:
Over the past few weeks, I've had the build completely break three time due to issues with Apple clang 4.1, which tells me that we're not doing any regular builds with Apple clang 4.1 (c.f. Bug 892594, Bug 904108, and the fact that the current tip of m-i won't link with Apple clang 4.1).

I'll note that the bugs I mention above are both working around actual bugs in clang, not missing features.

Any time I ask in #developers, the answer seems to be that our minimum version for Apple clang is still 4.1. I would propose that (unless we're adapting some of our infra builders to check that we can at least compile and link with 4.1), we formally abandon 4.1 as a supported compiler.

For what it's worth, the usual reference point for clang versions is synchronized with the LLVM versions, so the current tip-of-trunk is 3.3; when dealing with Clang compatibility, all version references refer to that internal number, so Clang 4.1 is a version which doesn't exist yet :-) . Guessing that "Apple clang 4.1" means "the clang shipped with Xcode 4.1", and using Wikipedia to get version info, this means that you're trying to use roughly Clang 3.0 ("based on LLVM 3.0svn"). We've never set a minimum Clang version to my knowledge for C++11 support (given that Clang has been ahead of the curve here), but I consider Clang < 3.1 unbuildable at least on Linux.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer