On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Adam Kowalczyk <adam-kowalcz...@o2.pl> wrote:
> For what it's worth, I find xml:base very useful in my extension. It is a
> feed reader and it displays content from many third-party sources on a
> single page, so there's a need for multiple base URIs in order to resolve
> relative URIs correctly.

> The arguments so far have focused on code simplicity, lack of support in
> other browsers, and Mozilla itself not using the feature. I haven't seen
> anyone address the arguably most important question: is the feature useful
> for the web at large? Perhaps we should improve our implementation and push
> for its adoption, rather than jump on the bandwagon?
>
> In principle, functionality provided by xml:base seems useful for web
> applications that deal with third-party content. Maybe someone more
> knowledgeable can estimate how much need there is in practice, though.

I think that using xml:base for content aggregation is a good
indication that the application should be reworked to use iframe
sandbox. If one don't feel confident enough in the application's
ability to sanitize/rewrite the third-party content so that all the
links become absolute (a good bet for pretty much any application),
then one shouldn't be injecting it into the page, IMO.

Cheers,
Brian
--
Mozilla Networking/Crypto/Security (Necko/NSS/PSM)