Currently, extensions are able to use the JSAPI via its exported symbols. This pretty much invariably leads to stability or security issues with extensions that actually do this:

* the JSAPI is complicated, and even within Mozilla we get reviews from a select set of people on JSAPI code * the JSAPI is moving quickly for such features as exact rooting as well as things like compartments and the interaction with xpconnect. Extensions aren't keeping up. * the JSAPI is not a binary-stable interface but some people are trying to use it that way

So I would like to propose that we link the JS libraries statically into libxul and stop exporting JSAPI symbols entirely. This will effectively prevent extensions from using it.

There are some technical issues to work out, such as what we do with xpcshell. I think what I'd like to do is bake xpcshell directly into libxul. As a side benefit this will aid a long-term goal of mine to unify the startup paths across app/embedding/xpcshell launch.

Thoughts or objections?

--BDS