About the methodology of using identical colorspace conversion for all formats,
the study asserts
> and manual visual spot checking did not suggest the conversion
> had a large effect on perceptual quality

I think this claim should be examined more carefully.

Take this image, for example: https://i.imgur.com/3pgvjFl.png
WebP quality 100, decoded to PNG: https://i.imgur.com/O6KKOZy.png
JPEG q99, 4:2:0 subsampling: https://i.imgur.com/jqdMv0d.jpg

WebP (in lossy mode) can't code it without visible banding. Even if you set the
quality to 100, the 256 -> 220 range crush destroys enough information that
even if nothing was lost in the later stages it'd still show significant
problems.

How visible this is depends on the particular screen or viewing environment. I
notice it immediately on the three devices I have at hand, but I guess on some
screens it might not be so obvious. Here are the same 3 files with their
contrast enhanced for easy differentiation:

Original: https://i.imgur.com/zXQ4Z5D.png
WebP: https://i.imgur.com/NBm9abp.png
JPEG: https://i.imgur.com/ASU94A7.png

Then there's the issue of only supporting 4:2:0, which is terrible for
synthetic images (screen captures, renders, diagrams) and shows in natural
images too. 4:4:4 subsampling is used a lot in practice, for example Photoshop
uses it automatically for the upper half of its quality scale when saving
JPEGs. At high qualities it's often better to turn chroma subsampling off even
at the expense of slightly higher quantization.

I suspect these two issues are the reason WebP hits a quality wall in some
JPEG/JXR/J2K comparisons done in RGB space.