On 11/30/13, 3:24 AM, smaug wrote:
Hi all and FYI

unified build mode has increased memory usage of building with gcc
significantly.
On my laptop (8 gig mem) I started to see some swapping, and because of
that
build times with unified mode weren't that much better than before.

But now, finally there is a use case for clang - it uses a lot less
memory than gcc,
and unified+clang+gold debug clobber build is 16 mins comparing to the
old ~30mins!

(Before using unified mode I didn't have mem usage problems with gcc and
there was never any significant
difference in build times comparing to clang.)

I filed bug 944842 to have mach report swapping during builds. Presumably the warning message will include tips on how to address it.

There are tentative plans to build reporting of system resource usage and mach usage patterns to Mozilla - in a privacy aware manner of course. This will help us identify what kind of build environments exist in the wild and will help us automatically select optimal build options for different classes of build environments.

There are also plans to offer a build mode for non-Gecko developers that downloads a pre-built libxul so these developers don't have to spend many minutes building Gecko.