I can reproducibly (but nondeterministically) reproduce a problem where
setting NSPR_LOG_MODULES, but not NSPR_LOG_FILE, redirecting stdout and
stderr to a file using bash >&, and using "mach mochitest-plain", the
occasional log message gets dropped. This can be very disturbing when
trying to debug using those logs.

There may be something peculiar with my setup causing this. I haven't
noticed this happening before, but it's hard to notice and therefore hard
to say if it's a regression or not. It does not seem to happen when I use
NSPR_LOG_FILE to write directly to a file, although having NSPR logging and
stderr output mixed into the same file in the right temporal order is
useful.

I dug into this pretty hard today and couldn't figure out what the problem
was. I got as far as instrumenting pt_Write in ptio.c and observing (or
seeming to observe) a write() system call to fd 2 completing without error
but failing to reach my log file. At that point I gave up and moved on. I
may look again if my appetite for pain returns.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w