On 12/19/2013 09:57 AM, Till Schneidereit wrote:
I think we should do more than encourage: we should back out for all style
guide violations. Period. We could even enforce that during upload to a
review tool, perhaps.

Is this a guide or a rule?

From my point of view, this is a guide, which is here to say: “This is what is commonly accepted”.

The root of the problem is that some people might make changes which are unreadable. And having a convention to define a common grammar is good for readability. This is what a guide is all about, a grammar.

Now, a few times, breaking the rule to introduce idioms which are locally acceptable *for the sake of readability*, and might not necessary fit in the style guide.

Would a grammar checker accept all the ASCII arts in comments?

This is my last words on this topics, too much bytes have been wasted on this topic already.

--
Nicolas B. Pierron