I think that this is a good start, but it doesn’t go quite far enough.

Part of the problem with a policy that requires people to avoid reformatting of
stuff they don’t touch is that it propagates formatting divergence.  Sometimes
because it’s better to conform to the style immediately adjacent the changed,
but more so because it prevents the use of tools that reformat entire files
(here, I’m not talking about things like names, but more whitespace
conventions).

For whitespace at least, I think that we need to do the following:

 1. pick a style

I really, really don’t care what this is.  I’m thinking that we pick whatever
people think that the current style is and give folks a fixed period to debate
changes.

 2. create some tools

These tools should help people conform to the style.

Primarily, what is needed is a tool with appropriate configuration that runs on
the command line — e.g., mach reformat …  clang-format is looking like a good
candidate for C/C++, it just needs a configuration.  For JavaScript, I’ve used
the python js-beautify, but it’s pretty light on configuration options, it
might need some hacking to make it better.

Ideally though, there should be set of configuration files for common editors.
I’m certain there are plenty out there already.  Let’s bring them all together
(attaching the files
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Developer_Guide/Coding_Style might be
enough).

 3. reformat everything

Take the command line tool and run it over all the code.  I realise that this
is the contentious part, but you don’t get the real benefits until you do this.

Once you do this, it’s safe to reformat files at any time without messing with
parts of files that you haven’t touched.  This is important because many tools
only reformat entire files.

As for `hg blame` and related tools, I have a workaround for that.  I’ve
knocked together a tool that takes a file and a reformatter command line, and
churns out a series of patches that retain blame:
https://github.com/martinthomson/blame-bridge

The patch bitrot problem is not easy to work around, but that will depend on
how closely the affected files already conformed to the style guide.

4. enforce compliance

This is probably a step for the future, but if there was - for example - a
commit bot that waited for a clean build+test run, adding a format check to
that run would allow the bot to block patches that screwed up the formatting of
files.

—Martin