Martin Thomson writes:

> I would like to think that adding (or removing) braces from block statements
> should be acceptable.

I would argue that braces should not be added with automation.

When debugging code, it is important to understand the intent of
the author.  Adding braces at parser-determined points disguises
the intent.

Actually, the same argument would prefer that code should not be
automatically re-indented to parser-determined tabs.

> The tool that I posted a link to earlier has ways to maintain blame across
> both of the above sorts of changes.

I get the impression that blame-bridge's goal is to attribute
lines to the correct person, but what we want is to identify the
changeset that made the code as it is now.  I assume that can be
done if we accept another level of indirection.

This won't help in-progress patches, anyway.

> I disagree.  I think that the bigger costs come from changing naming
> conventions (_memberVariable to memberVariable_ to mMemberVariable), because
> that can’t be done a file at a time.

We are talking about different things here.  Yes, it will be
harder to automatically fix up patches for variable renaming
than for whitespace changes, but at least the compiler will
usually detect problems with different variable names.

_memberVariable to memberVariable_ to mMemberVariable is another
situation where the particular choice does not matter.  All are
readable, so the only cost is when moving code from a file that
uses memberVariable_ to one that uses mMemberVariable.  That is
not something we do too often.