On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 5:38 PM, L. David Baron <dba...@dbaron.org> wrote:

> So if we're switching to 99 or 100, I'd like to understand how you
> picked that number and have confidence that it's not just going to
> keep going up.

SpiderMonkey's used 99 for years and years without anyone (AFAIK)
arguing that it be increased again. So I think that's a needless
concern.

One thing to mention:  SM uses 4-space indents, and that makes the 99
char limit more of a win that it would be with 2-space indents.

One annoying thing about SM is that *code* is allowed to be 99 chars,
but comments are not supposed to exceed 80(!) This is kinda awful
because you can't set up an editor (AFAIK) for both. I settled on
setting my editor for 80 chars and then I manually unbreak longer
lines (ugh).

> On the flip side, I strongly dislike the JS style in which member
> variables and constructor arguments frequently shadow each other.

A trailing '_' (e.g. foo_) is sometimes used in SM for members. This
helps reduce shadowing, but isn't sufficient, even if it's applied
consistently. (I've beaten my head against this numerous times trying
to enable -Wshadow, and failed every time.) I found the
gFoo/sFoo/aFoo/mFoo style bizarre at first, but have come to prefer
it.

> I prefer non-bracing visually, but I've found the bracing to be
> useful often enough when inserting debugging-printfs that I've come
> to prefer it even though I think it's ugly and wastes space.

It's pretty darn common to have a blank line after an indented block,
in which case it doesn't end up wasting space.

Nick