Blair McBride wrote:

I'd like to see the removal of the modelines also. A root config file is much cleaner.

For the widest possible support of editors, I'd love to see a root .editorconfig file. See http://editorconfig.org/ - it's an editor-neutral config, with plugins for many editors/IDEs (including Emacs, Vim, SublimeText, etc). And it supports different settings for different filetypes, so we can have different settings for C++, JS, CSS, etc.

If it can stop C++ files from acquiring DOS line endings then better still!

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.