I am an educator struggling to incorporate mathematics in my online tutorials
and mathematical games etc. I cannot use MathJax: It is asynchronous, and my
code, which requires generating HTML and typeset mathematical formulas on the
fly, would cease to function under MathJax unless I was to discard years of
work and start all over again restructuring all my code to accommodate
asynchronous math typesetting. Instead, I have been forced to write my own
(very inferior) synchronous Tex to HTML converter for the MathML-illiterate
browsers. For Firefox, I just use TeX to MathML and get perfectly good and
pleasing typeset formulas synchronously.

A lot of people are claiming that the existence of MathJax makes MathML
unnecessary. However, no mention is made of the important fact that MathJax is
asynchronous, so that it cannot be used in place of MathML in dynamic pages
without fundamental restructuring of the code.

As things stand, Firefox is the only browser that admits native, synchronous
mathematical typesetting. Worse, there is nothing even remotely comparable (and
synchronous) for other browsers (Safari, for instance, claims to support MathML
but the support is marginal and far from satisfactory).