On 2014-02-28 8:53 AM, Usman Ehtesham wrote:
> When images are uploaded in Pinterest and Instagram, the size of the images
> get modified and so do the colors (within a ranges of +/- 10 pixels). Are
> images modified to align the images as a grid as seen in Pinterest and
> Instagram? If yes, how do they do it done? Also is there a way when the
> images are downloaded from these websites, we can get the original image with
> the original colors and size? I also observed that when the alpha value of
> the image is changed and then the image is uploaded, the images modify the
> alpha values too once they are uploaded in Pinterest and Instagram. Is there
> a way around it?

I don't know much about the details, but generally sites like this
reprocess images after upload. They generally optimize for size and
compression efficiency. I suppose they might tweak the colour as well.

I don't use either pinterest or instagram, but looking at their
developer APIs they provide a few encoded sizes, but no link to the
original or Creative Commons licensing tags.

In general they're trying to make the images look nice and load quickly;
these sites are not about backing up work or sharing high-quality
originals for collaborate reprocessing. There are other sites which do
allow access to the originals, like Flickr.com.

Hope that helps,
 -r