Irving Reid wrote:

For unknown reasons, internal bookkeeping prefs used by AddonManager and XPIProvider are set to values of the wrong type on some Firefox profiles, and are now stuck that way. I can write wrapper code on these calls to catch the error and clear the broken preference, but I wonder if it would be better to change set*Pref() to force the preference to the intended type.

a) if the pref has a default in all.js then you don't want to be able to change its type and in this case the prefs.js value should get ignored if it is the wrong type. b) by the time you're calling setPref it's too late because you know the type is wrong when your getPref failed so you might as well clear it as part of fixing the problem.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.