On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 05:40:36PM -0700, Gregory Szorc wrote:
> On 3/26/14, 4:53 PM, Taras Glek wrote:
> >*User Repos*
> >TLDR: I would like to make user repos read-only by April 30th. We should
> >archive them by May 31st.
> >
> >Time  spent operating user repositories could be spent reducing our
> >end-to-end continuous  integration cycles. These do not seem like
> >mission-critical repos, seems like developers would be better off
> >hosting these on bitbucket or github. Using a 3rd-party host has obvious
> >benefits for collaboration & self-service that our existing system will
> >never meet.
>
> How much time do we spend operating user repositories? I follow the repos
> bugzilla components and most of the requests I see have little if anything
> to do with user repositories. And I reckon that's because user repositories
> are self-service.

Note that while user repositories are self-service on the creation side,
there is no obvious way to self-service a user repo removal. I'm not in
Taras's list, but after looking, I figured I had an old m-c copy with
old patches on top of it.

Also note that the lack of something better than mercurial's share, we
sadly have to waste plenty of disk space for each copy of a mercurial
repo. If mercurial's share was more like git's object alternates, that
would be much less dramatic. (BTW, I don't think it would be extremely
difficult to implement)

Mike