On 03/28/2014 08:34 PM, Jet Villegas wrote:
Do you think this should require author opt-in? I was thinking that we spec
what we degrade automagically so it's less of a black box even without opt-in.

We probably need both. opt-in and something automagical degrade.
We certainly could lower refresh rate in some cases in order to try to avoid
extra layout flushes etc.

--Jet

----- Original Message -----
From: "smaug" <sm...@welho.com>
To: "Nicholas Nethercote" <n.netherc...@gmail.com>, "Jet Villegas"
<j...@mozilla.com>
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 11:16:42 AM
Subject: Re: Graceful Platform Degradation

Perhaps annotating setTimeout/Interval callbacks and animation frame callbacks
with
{ priority: "low" } and process such callbacks only if we can keep up with 60Hz.
priority: "medium" perhaps when 30Hz.
But anyhow, keeping separate lists for less-important async stuff might make it
simpler for
web devs to opt-in to different perf characteristics.

-Olli