On 2014-04-15, 6:52 AM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
I'd like to get this checked in so that we can either have it enabled by
default in nightlies (and nightlies only), or at least allow it enabled via
a pref.  However, there's one issue -- the LibOVR library has a
not-fully-free-software license [1].  It's compatible with our licenses,
but it is not fully "free".

I don't think their "Human-Readable Summary" is a very good summary.
-- Section 2 says that modifications to the SDK code are not just "shared
with Oculus" but Oculus actually owns the copyright to such modifications.
If someone patches a Mozilla-tree copy of the code, say to add FreeBSD
support, that would kick in. Until now, contributors have always retained
copyright over their Mozilla contributions.
-- Section 3.1 prohibits use of the SDK with any hardware not approved by
Oculus VR. I guess there isn't any hardware in that category right now, but
if someone builds compatible hardware, we'd be in a bad situation if we
were depending on this code.

I think the former is actually going to be a problem for us very soon after we import this code. We should really try to get them to relicense their SDK if at all possible.

Cheers,
Ehsan