On 4/16/2014 2:18 PM, Richard Barnes wrote:

I don't know about "problematic", but ISTM that it might be useless.  If people disable
sendBeacon in an effort to avoid tracking, then the trackers can always just test and polyfill with
XHR.  If you really want "disable tracking", you're going to have to do a lot more, and
probably break a lot of the web.

Oh, I figured the pref flip would leave the sendBeacon API visible, it just wouldn't *do* anything. That would be a lot more effective than completely hiding it.

This is very similar to the discussion about <a ping>. Can we enhance privacy for the users who care a lot by implementing the ping, getting sites to stop using redirectors for metrics, and allowing some users to disable the ping?

--BDS