On 5/6/14, 12:53 PM, Benoit Jacob wrote:
Ah, I see the confusion now. So the first reason why what you're suggesting
wouldn't work for WebGL is that WebGL extension my add functionality
without changing any IDL at all.

Sure, but we're not talking about arbitrary WebGL extensions. We're talking about specifically the set of things we want to expose in WebGL2, which do include new methods.

In particular, the contract would be that if any of the new methods are supported, then FLOAT texture upload is also supported.

The fact that these may be extensions under the hood doesn't seem really relevant, as long as the contract is that the support is all-or-nothing.

-Boris