On Friday 2014-05-16 09:40 -0400, Curtis Koenig wrote:
> On 16 May, 2014, at 09:37 AM, Kyle Huey <m...@kylehuey.com> wrote:
> > The point being made is that the preference is not a real choice.  If
> > you disable this feature you can still be tracked in the exact same
> > way by methods that exist today and are not covered by the preference.
>
> True, but those methods are being done outside of a browser feature we have
> control over. In this case given that we can implement and control this
> particular feature behavior we should try to implement it in a way that
> aligns with our projects values.

No, I don't think we can implement control over "this particular
feature behavior", since for the user to actually have control, the
description of the preference needs to be understandable and then
actually do what it says.

We can control one technical underpinning of tracking which links a
user follows, but we can't control all of them.  This means that any
preference for this that we expose to users would either have to be
described in technical jargon that's not meaningful to most users,
would have to either be untruthful or unclear about what effects it
has.  Compare this to the preference for DNT, which says "Tell sites
that I do not want to be tracked". [1]  That's understandable, but
also makes it clear that it's not preventing tracking but telling
the other end about a preference.

Supporting user control should mean that the choices we expose to
users actually control useful and understandable things.

-David

[1] Speaking of DNT -- if it's all just the honor system for
    honoring this preference anyway -- why shouldn't it just be
    based on the DNT header anyway?  We send the DNT header in the
    network request for the ping, right?

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.