On 05/28/2014 08:37 PM, Karl Dubost wrote:
Le 29 mai 2014 à 09:13, Andrew Sutherland <asutherl...@asutherland.org> a écrit
:
My imagined rationale for why someone would use a self-signed certificate
amounts to laziness.
being one of those persons using a self-signed certificate, let's enrich your
use cases list ;)
I use a self-signed certificate because the server that I'm managing is used by
a handful of persons which are part of community. This community can be friends
and/or family. The strong link here is the *human trust* in between people,
which is higher than the trust of a third party.

Trusting you as a human doesn't translate into protecting the users of your server from man-in-the-middle attacks. How do you translate the human trust into the technical trust infrastructure supported by Firefox and Thunderbird and the rest of the Internet?

Andrew