On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Jeff Gilbert <jgilb...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> [...]

Sure, if you're just animating bitmaps with optional filters/compositing
WebGL is faster. Drawing paths and text on the GPU requires complex shaders
or tesselation and that require a lot of finessing.

> > > There are
> > > basically two kinds of Canvas2D applications: those for which GPUs have
> > > been useless so far, and those which have benefited much more from
> getting
> > > ported to WebGL, than they did from accelerated Canvas 2D.
> >

> > That is not true. For instance, do you think mozilla's shumway would be
> > better and reliable if it was written in WebGL?
> It depends on the primitives shumway receives. If Flash uses a 2d-like API
> like skia/cairo/etc., then it is probably not worth the effort to
> reimplement the awful-for-GL parts of those APIs.
> If there's some performant subset that can be identified, then yes, doing
> a WebGL path for that would have a higher performance ceiling.

Likely a hybrid approach where vectors are rendered by canvas 2D into a
bitmap and those bitmaps are then animated by WebGL.
A bitmap would be generated when a movieclip has:
- a filter
- a blend mode
- "cache as bitmap"