On 2014-06-17 11:01 AM, Nathan Froyd wrote:
[bcc dev-tree-management]

In the continuing effort to make our testsuites more reliable, bug
995417 has landed on inbound.  This bug enforces the long-standing
policy of no external network connections in the testsuite with code:
external network connections will now crash the browser if and when
they occur during tests, rather than intermittently causing failures.

\o/

- If you need a host that doesn't exist (e.g. testing XMLHttpRequest
error behavior), you ought to be able to just make one up.  Make it
sufficiently whimsical.

The TLD `.invalid` is reserved for this purpose in RFC 2606 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606>. If we used that consistently, it would be easy to tell, when reading unfamiliar tests, that a host is not supposed to exist.

zw