David Rajchenbach-Teller wrote:

We are considering redesigning slightly how windows are reopened by Session
Restore, to ensure that most recently used windows are loaded first.
I can't quite tell from your phrasing whether the bottleneck here is the time it takes to open windows. I'm assuming it is, and that Session Restore has to wait for all the windows to open so that it can prioritise loading the most recent window first.

Since Session Restore already knows things such as the size and position of the window it wants to restore, I'm wondering whether it might it be possible to open the windows to about:blank and then start loading browser.xul in the most recent window first. (Obviously this only helps if there are three or more windows to restore, since you have to have loaded browser.xul in the first window to know you want to restore the previous session.)

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.