Hello,

When the ESR branch was initially created it was done so in a manner of
intentional impermanence,  the thinking being that consumers of this channel
would eventually establish a way to switch over onto our 6 week rapid release
mainline builds.  With last week’s ESR31 we are pushing the limits of the
original timeframe and it’s time to make a call on how to proceed with this
population of users with an intent of creating permanence.

In its present state, a strong community has built up around this channel and
pacing of major version bumps.  The enterprise mailing list is active but not
high-volume. There are two community contributors who took on the work of
administrating the mailing list and they provide support as well on how to
customize deployments.  Since this branch/channel was created with the
intention of killing it off down the road, we do not do any external marketing
of the ESR.  The user base can be generally distributed into three buckets:
large organizations with over 100K instances, 2-10K organizations, and then
ones under 1K. There are over 5500 members on the mailing list, and in order to
get details about use a query was sent to the list in order to collect
information on the value of continue providing this channel. About 80 responses
were received in 2 weeks.

Given:

* we have a strong, self-supporting community
* building and maintaining ESR has become a smooth process which uses very few
resources (one channel, minimal builds on checkins, single QA sign off every 6
weeks)
* Chrome is now providing enterprise support
(http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/business/browser/)
* there are at least 2M users on this channel and we estimate there to be more
if we factor in Linux distributions

The approach going forward is to:

* continue providing ESR builds as a permanent channel dedicated to the
criteria we laid out in its creation
* plan a marketing push around the existence of ESR (update docs, revamp the
org web page, promote the channel externally)
* commit to iterating on the processes built around of this channel and explore
potential improvements to pacing, packaging, and other customizations
* make a project of getting FHR/Telemetry data from these deployments where
permitted so that we have information on long-term usage that could be missing
from mainline

For that last point, many of the respondents to the questions I raised on the
list said they already could do, or would look into doing, Telemetry/FHR
reports if they had more visibility into what the data collected was and also
some expressed interest in having access to that collected data.  Data from
long term support build users might unlock stability and security information
that we do not currently discover in our rapid releases.

There is value to this channel both in loyalty of users, reaching people at
work where they likely spend more of their online time, and maintaining a share
of desktop browser usage.  Let’s take this already strong community, and look
at how we can grow it for the benefit of the users and our products.

Cheers,
Lukas