On 8/13/14, 5:56 PM, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 06:09:31PM -0400, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
>> On 2014-08-13, 6:02 PM, Shu-yu Guo wrote:
>>> About not changing the behavior for chrome JS, the prospect of having
>>> chrome JS becoming more divergent from standard JS is unwelcome to me.
>>> Having additional, orthogonal features is one thing, but a fundamental
>>> feature with the same syntax that behaves differently depending on the
>>> context is very unsavory.
>>
>> Have you done any tests on let's say at least the top 10 add-ons to see how
>> many of them this change breaks?
>
> Relatedly, if too many addons were to break because of this, would it be
> possible to have addon compartments use the current let behavior while
> keeping the new one for everything else including chrome? At least until
> all addons (or at least all that matter) are fixed.
>
> Mike

We don't expect this to be a major problem for add-ons, and it's usually
best in these cases to let things break so devs react quickly. I assume
these errors will show up in the console, which should be easy to spot
for them and for us to point out during add-on reviews.

We'll also look into adding a validator test for it so we can
automatically detect the problem on AMO add-ons.

Jorge