Paolo Amadini wrote:

It soon became apparent that most of the autocomplete code was designed for
synchronous operation

Synchronous operation of what? Autocomplete works like this: You ask for some results; some time later, you get some results. How could that be less synchronous?

In fact, a search on the mozilla-central [2] and comm-central [3] repositories
shows that this shared autocomplete code is only used on Desktop by Firefox and
Thunderbird, while SeaMonkey uses the older XPFE autocomplete.

More precisely, most* of SeaMonkey's UI uses the XPFE-based autocomplete binding. Well, I say XPFE-based; all of the old XPFE interfaces were removed long ago. It's basically equivalent to the Toolkit autocomplete binding (nsIAutoCompleteInput) plus the additional functionality of nsIAutoCompleteController. It also has its own autocomplete popup, but the rest is shared with Toolkit. SeaMonkey and Thunderbird do of course provide additional nsIAutoCompleteSearch implementations (addrbook gloda ldap mydomain news) above those provided by Toolkit (file form-history history places-tag-autocomplete search-autocomplete) which Thunderbird does not use (except possibly it could provide form history in its content tabs, but I have no idea whether that actually works or not). It possible that extensions use autocomplete too (DOM Inspector offers file and history autocomplete it in its URL bar for instance).

The major change would be the removal of the multiple search sources from the
autocomplete code, since this feature is used heavily by Thunderbird.

When the code to provide web page autocomplete suggestions was added, it was done so in a really hacky way by creating an autocomplete component which called another autocomplete component and then merged the results together. If only someone had had the idea of using multiple search sources. I guess it's too late now.

*SeaMonkey's search bar uses toolkit's autocomplete widget but SeaMonkey's popup.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.