On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 1:55 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivo...@hsivonen.fi> wrote:

> tion to https
> that obtaining, provisioning and replacing certificates is too
> expensive.

Related concepts are at the core of why I'm going to give Opportunistic
Security a try with http/2. The issues you cite are real issues in
practice, but they become magnified in other environments where the PKI
doesn't apply well (e.g. behind firewalls, in embedded devices, etc..)..
and then, perhaps most convincingly for me, there remains a lot of legacy
web content that can't easily migrate to vanilla https:// schemes we all
want them to run (e.g. third party dependencies or SNI dependencies) and
this is a compatibility measure for them.

Personally I expect any failure mode here will be that nobody uses it, not
that it drives out https. But establishment is all transparent to the web
security model and asynchronous, so if that does happen we can easily
remove support. The potential upside is that a lot of http:// traffic will
be encrypted and protected against passive monitoring.