On 30/09/14 16:56, Patrick Walton wrote:
> On 9/21/14 6:00 AM, James Graham wrote:
>> In the longer term, one might hope that bugfixes will produce new
>> testcases that could be upstreamed, and Servo might need a proper
>> testsuite to achieve interoperability. Having said that, Servo has so
>> far not produced a significant number of tests, which has been a little
>> surprising as they have been implementing some of the core pieces of the
>> platform which are indeed under-tested. I suspect this is because the
>> skills, interests and goals of the team are around producing code rather
>> than tests. For people making small contributions it would also be
>> rather off-putting to be told "no you can't land this fix that makes
>> Wikipedia look better without a comprehensive testsuite for the relevant
>> feature". However if we as an organisation really care about testing
>> core platform features which already have an implementation in gecko,
>> one way to achieve that would be to give someone working on Servo the
>> explicit job of creating testsuites for the big-ticket features they
>> implement as they implement them.

[...]

> On the Servo team we don't have the manpower to dedicate one member to
> writing comprehensive test suites. Our research goals are oriented
> toward proving that parallel layout works on the Web, which means, at
> this time, showing that real, popular Web sites look correct and
> demonstrate parallel speedups. Standards work, including writing test
> suites, is useful, but has to be secondary to proving the viability of
> the project.

Right, I understand that dedicated work on testing doesn't match the
current priorities of the project. However I think that it's worth
considering the benefits of doing more of this work under the Servo
umbrella when reassessing those priorities in the future.

Producing tests seems clearly in line with the Mozilla mission, and
provides a way for Servo to have a near-term impact on other Mozilla
products such as Gecko. This is particularly the case when Servo is
implementing parts of the platform that have poor interop in existing
browsers.

It should also allow Servo itself to move faster by making it more
likely that the implementations you make are actually web-compatible on
the first try, rather than needing many cycles of redesigns and fixups.
The new HTML parser is an example of a complex feature that has a large
existing testsuite and which I am therefore confident will work in a
web-compatible way (at least for static documents) as soon as it lands.
Without the tests I am sure this would not have been the case.