I'm not certain that the image/src/ code is as bad as you make out any more. bholley certainly is no longer the expert there; I took over a bunch of his work to clean it up a year or two ago, and Seth is the benevolent dictator now and has done some good cleanup work on it as well.

Cheers,
Josh

On 2014-10-16 6:45 PM, Andreas Gal wrote:

The code is really bizarre, needlessly complex and impossible to understand and
maintain. We could use a lot of improvements in this area to better decide what
images to load when and how and when to retain or purge them. There is a lot of
state machinery and multi-threading at work. I wouldn’t be surprised if we find
a couple nasty correctness bugs if we ever decide to clean up this mess.
bholley is the expert for this code I think. He can give you a better overview
(full disclosure: this code used to be much worse before he went to town on it).

Andreas