On 2014-10-16, 6:24 PM, Chris Peterson wrote:
On 2014-10-16, 5:01 PM, Chris Peterson wrote:
On 10/16/14 12:49 PM, Jeff Muizelaar wrote:
Are there reasons we can’t drop support for these compilers in the
37-38 time frame?

Firefox 38 will become the next ESR. I don't know if that means we
should drop old compilers *before* the ESR or after, but it should
probably inform the decision.

Why?

Would dropping older compiler support include ESR alongside
mozilla-central?

No. It will happen on mozilla-central, and will ride the trains down to Aurora. Note that by "dropping support" what I mean is adding a configure check that tells you your compiler is unsupported and fails the build if you use MSVC < 2012.

> I assumed dropping an older compiler after ESR forks
meant Rel Eng would need to maintain an extra toolchain for another
year. And, though unlikely, fixes uplifted to ESR couldn't use any newer
C++ features not supported by the old compilers.

Yes, exactly. I guess I misunderstood what you meant. I am suggesting to drop support for MSVC 2010 *before* Gecko 38 in order to avoid the issues you mentioned above. I think we are in agreement!