On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 9:40 AM, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> wrote:

> That said, it's scary that these APIs are described in terms of
> synchronous operations on the scroll position. I.e. it seems to
> pretend that off-main-thread scrolling doesn't exist and then hope
> that implementations are able to still create a good experience on
> implementations that do off-main-thread scrolling.

Synchronous-looking scroll operations have been part of the platform for a
long time via the scrollTop and scrollLeft properties. It does no harm to
continue and even extend support for that. There is of course no spec
requirement that we actually re-render synchronously; all we need to do is
update the script's view of page geometry synchronously. The skew between
the page's view of geometry and what we're actually rendering creates
complexity in the browser but it's something we've been dealing with for a
long time.

The new smooth-scrolling functionality is, of course, async.

I can't say I understand why it was called "auto" rather than simply
> making "instant" the default value of the property. That said, if all
> we're doing is bikeshedding the name I'm happy to leave it up to the
> WG.

It doesn't seem like a good idea for authors to specify "instant" and still
get smooth scrolling. And we have no good use-cases for actually being able
to force "instant" in defiance of platform/browser conventions.

Rob
owohooo
oioso
owohooo