L. David Baron schrieb:
On Friday 2015-01-02 14:23 +0100, Robert Kaiser wrote:
Seth Fowler schrieb:

On Dec 17, 2014, at 10:08 PM, James May <m...@fowlsmurf.net> wrote:
* Is there telemetry for this?

There isn’t telemetry specifically for non-MJPEG usage of
multipart/x-mixed-replace images. Given that I’ve never seen them used outside
of our test suite, I don’t think we need telemetry to make this particular
decision, although generally it’s a good idea. Letting the change ride the
trains, and making sure that it’s easy to back out if a problem is found,
should suffice.

IMHO, "I haven't seen" is a weak argument. When we remove features
that are exposed to the web in some form, it's always a good idea to
gather some telemetry first so that we know what the actual impact
will probably be (there is some bias to the Telemetry audience
already, of course). Let's see that we have data instead of
assumptions and do not run into surprises. People have been known to
do crazy things in some corners of the web.

I don't think that' necessary for features that aren't supported
across other browser engines, which I believe is the case here.

We have been burned by removing Gecko-only features in JS land, that's why even that reasoning is dangerous in general.

For this specific case everything might be fine, I don't dispute that, but we shouldn't do removals of web-exposed features without good data in general. Can we at least have a very small telemetry probe along with this specific removal (can be removed in the next train again), so we can get at least some data from beta users if there are cases encountered of those features we remove? I'd have guessed we all, including Seth, would be happier if we have data confirmation of us doing the right thing here.

KaiRo