>On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 06:57:30AM +0900, Mike Hommey wrote:
>> So, in practice, because the h264 code is not sandboxed on some setups,
>> we're disabling it so that vp8, which is not sandboxed either, is used
>> instead. We have about the same amount of control over openh264 and
>> vp8 code bases. What makes the difference?
>
>This is more a question for the WebRTC module leadership, but: assuming
>the attacker can choose the codec (do we always secure the media content
>at least as much as the script that set up the session?), the set of
>vulnerabilities is the union of the codecs' vulnerabilities, and adding
>a codec can only add more of them.
>
>Possibly also relevant: we already prefer VP8 over H.264 on desktop.

In theory VP8 is not inherently 'safer' than H.264.  In practice, the
OpenH264 codec is less mature, especially from a security perspective -
VP8 (due to our and Google's use and testing of it) has been pretty well
wrung out.  We could consider moving VP8 encode/decode to a sandbox;
there is a performance/memory cost to this.  I don't think we've had
many sec bugs in VP8 in recent years, so the risk/cost/reward tradeoff
may not be great.

An added concern for OpenH264 raised by various people has been that
OpenH264 is a 3rd-party download, which raises concerns about the
possibility of a compromised or evil plugin.  We are somewhat avoiding
that currently because we're doing the builds for Cisco, and we're also
looking for ways to create a bit-level reproducible build setup so
people can verify/validate that the binaries are what they say they are.

The other aspect here is that the same concerns will apply to any
EME/etc plugins using the GMP interface/sandbox; without seccomp-bpf, we
cannot ensure the plugins aren't doing something evil (or tracking
users), and those would be closed-source.  So there's even more reason
to disable GMP on these older linux systems.

--
Randell Jesup, Mozilla Corp
remove "news" for personal email