On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 6:33:42 PM UTC+1, Ted Mielczarek wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015, at 10:27 AM, Axel Hecht wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to write tests to validate my assumptions around what's an error
> > and what's a warning for localized values going into
> > nsTextFormatter::smprintf.
> >
> > Basically, the tests would start with a reference string, and then a more
> > or less random modification of that string, and a check if the segments
> > are in, or if it crashes [1].
> >
> > So I'll need a .cpp core, and a wrapper that feeds it data and checks the
> > output.
> >
> > Any suggestions on how to do that "right"?
>
> When you say "crashes" do you mean an actual program crash? If so,
> shouldn't we just be fixing these in nsTextFormatter? If you don't need
> to monitor actual crashes then a Gtest should work just fine here.
>
> -Ted

I'm talking actual crashes, and I don't know how we would fix the text
formatter. I'm glancing at
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/xpcom/glue/nsTextFormatter.cpp#778,
 and I had no idea how to fix the C++ API there.

bug 1133554#c2 is a bug where we got it wrong in en-US, too. Doesn't crash, but
produces undesirable results.

Note, folks using the stringbundle.formatStringFromName just use a wstring
array. The only code paths affected are those that get the string, and
explicitly call into nsTextFormatter from c++.

Axel