I don't actually think about:permissions is a good start, or that it's
implemented "most of the complicated bits." Quite the opposite, really: it
was a useful experiment, but has some serious problems. I'd briefly
summarize the two main flaws as (1) "manager" UIs are generally not great
(they provide some minimal functionality to change settings but are bad at
informing the user what's going on) and (2) it isn't a great fit for the
scopes of various things in the browser (everything from global settings to
exact-url matches, with lots of subtle variations in between), let alone
matching that to a user's mental model.

Philipp Sackl (UX) has been poking at this for a while, and has some
interesting explorations. We can and should definitely do more here, just
not with about:permissions. :)

Justin