Hi Mike,

> This sounds like a massive improvement to our rendering pipeline, definitely
> worth of some PR effort! Is that being considered?

We’ve had a PR effort before when Silk landed on b2g. It hit hacker news and
received over 10K views IIRC on mozilla hacks, so I’m not keen on doing another
one.

> Is this expected to have an impact on Talos numbers? I’d expect them to
> improve, but that probably also depends on the hardware used for the Talos
> infrastructure.

There are a few cases where talos numbers changed, but I don’t expect a big
change. Software timers were already going at the same rate as hardware vsync,
just not as accurately. Talos usually measures how fast we do something. Since
we technically should be rendering at the same rate, just more precisely, the
numbers should be more stable, but not necessarily better. We don’t have a lot
of talos numbers on smoothness yet, but separate tests which specifically
measure smoothness do improve.

Mason