On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Aryeh Gregor <a...@aryeh.name> wrote:
> 1) SNI is reportedly still not usable if you care about IE on XP.
> This means HTTPS is not usable on shared hosting, which is most small
> sites, unless you don't care that your site doesn't load in IE on XP.
> This is also a problem for larger sites whose content is accessible
> via multiple domains (even just www.foo.com vs. foo.com), unless they
> want to get an IP address per domain.  For instance, Wikipedia serves
> a whole bunch of second-level domains (wikipedia.org, wikimedia.org,
> wiktionary.org, etc.) from the same servers, and to support HTTPS,
> they needed to reconfigure their site so that all of these were
> different IP addresses.

I'm not sure that IE on XP is worth caring about (also, IE7 is OK).

> 2) If you want to support access via both HTTP and HTTPS for whatever
> reason, you have to make sure your content uses protocol-relative URLs
> exclusively, which means making modifying the software that runs on
> your site.  Otherwise users will click a link and get sent back to the
> insecure site without noticing.  This could include user-provided
> URLs.  You could just use HTTPS exclusively, but that's a somewhat
> bigger step to take.

HSTS.

> 3) If you include third-party scripts that are not available over
> HTTPS, at least Chrome will helpfully break your site until your users
> click through a permissions dialog, if I remember correctly.

Upgrade is coming (see webappsec).

> 4) According to the O'Reilly book linked from istlsfastyet.com,
> best-case TLS usage still adds a round-trip to every connection.
> Common non-best-case scenarios are worse (e.g., IE < 10 apparently
> doesn't support False Start).  This is a nontrivial performance
> penalty.

TLS 1.3 can have data in the first flight sometimes.  Or you could
avoid most of the connection setup issues and use HTTP/2, which for
the general case will improve performance (unless your site consists
of too few resources to benefit, that is).