On 3/26/2015 3:00 AM, Randell Jesup wrote:
Force a buffer in <2GB memory and always copy into/out of that buffer?
That may work, other than it's inconvenient to force a buffer into <2GB
space at the time when you need it, and thus we'd have to perma-allocate
a "large enough" buffer for this.

You don't have to commit it, you only have to reserve the address space.

   (Note GetAdapters*() is typically used
with a first call to get the size, then a second to get the real data,
or with a 16K-ish buffer then redone if that isn't enough.)

What is the largest buffer that we can expect to need? Since VM allocation happens in 64k boundaries, is it sufficient to just use a 64k buffer for this?

What thread(s) are these functions called on? Can we serialize access to them so that we can allocate just one buffer at startup and use that singleton for all the callers?

--BDS