On 04/07/2015 01:15 PM, Tobias B. Besemer wrote:
> OK, to reopen this discussion ...
>
> I suggested in Bug 1151371 to activate the status "IN_PROGRESS" in bmo and
> use this status for bugs that are "in progress" ("patch in work") and that
> everybody use the status "applied" in future only as "taken" or as "in the
> to-dos-list" like the others do.
> My arguments for this and reasons can be found in the bug.

People already have inconsistent interpretations of what the bug
"status" field ASSIGNED vs NEW means (and inconsistent
levels-of-bothering-to-actually-tweak-the-flag). Adding an additional
IN_PROGRESS status will likely just make things more confusing --
particularly given that many people won't bother to set it, either
explicitly or accidentally.  (Why should they? It's extra process for
process's sake, and it'd arguably be a waste of their time.)

What is the problem you're trying to solve?  I think you're worried
about new contributors mistakenly thinking NEW means "unassigned"?  If
that's your concern, then (to the extent that's an actual problem) I
think it'd be better to focus on surfacing the "assignee" field, and
highlighting tools like Bugs Ahoy which these contributors should be
using in the first place.

I don't think adding an additional status (which will break existing
conventions & will be applied inconsistently) is going to help here.

~Daniel