Just thinking, but what if each profile remembered what channel it was meant for? When using a profile in a different channel, you would have an option to create a backup of the profile. If you were going forward, you would get a simple notification that your profile's channel was being advanced and ask if you're sure you want to do that. If you were going backwards, it would blast you with scary warnings about data loss (but both directions would provide a backup option.)

I would expect try to default to the nightly channel? It's not foolproof, especially if your try push includes a one-way IDB upgrade, but it would seem to cover the common case of mangling a release/beta/dev edition profile.

And that's just from a UX standpoint. I have no idea what order things happen in and whether this would require a separate ProfileManager to pop up before the browser got properly started or whatever.