I don't believe marionette currently works on Thunderbird, but that's most likely due to hardcoded assumptions than any deep technical reasons. It could probably be made to work with a little bit of effort, it's just that to date, no one has tried.

I thought thunderbird was using a very out-of-date version of mozmill which was already unmaintained anyway? Or did you already upgrade to the latest version?

-Andrew