Den 26-05-2015 kl. 13:13 skrev Ted Mielczarek:
Additionally, the 'paste' event from the spec already works, which seems
like it provides pretty useful functionality for webapps. The user can
use Ctrl+V or Edit->Paste or whatever existing UI mechanism the browser
has to trigger a paste, and the page can handle the event to do
something useful with the pasted data.

The same can be said about cut and copy.

I don't think it will work for my use case. Here is my use case: I have a web application that allows the user to upload tabular data. Users most often prepare the data in Excel or other spreadsheet applications before uploading the data. My application supports a CSV file upload, but it is slow to use, since you have to copy the section you which to upload into a separate spreadsheet, save it as a file, go into the web application and find the same file, upload it, and then delete the temporary file. You also get issues with character encoding when saving as CSV from Excel. As a quicker solution the web application allows the user to copy-paste the relevant section of their excel file into the web application, which takes much fewer steps. However users often need to paste large amounts of data (millions of cells), which will make the browser freeze while it tries to render the pasted text in the textarea. It would be much faster if I could just present a "Paste data" or "Upload from clipboard" button, which could load the data from the clipboard directly into a JavaScript string without first trying to render it. I feel that doing this by handling the paste event on a text area would be a confusing user experience, since you would have a visible text area that would not work when you type into it, and it looks like you would see your text when you paste, but you won't. So I believe I need to trigger the paste event when the user clicks a button in order to do this.

/Jesper Kristensen