>Thanks Adam, these are good points.
>
>On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 2:08:33 PM UTC-7, Adam Roach wrote:
>> On 5/22/15 15:51, Eric Rahm wrote:
>> > I agree, we shouldn't make it harder to turn on logging. The easy
>> > solution is just to add a separate logger for verbose messages (if we
>> > choose not to add Verbose/Trace).
>>
>> I don't know why we wouldn't just add a more verbose log level (Verbose,
>> Trace... I don't care what we call it). The presence of "DEBUG + 1" in
>> our code is evidence of a clear, actual need.
>
>This was my thought as well initially (my first proposal had a Verbose
>level). After auditing the code I changed my mind.
>
>I believe adding the Info level will serve this need. The feeling I got
>from most code that did 'DEBUG + 1' was that they needed to use DEBUG for
>the informational stuff (because there was no Info level) and wanted a
>lower level for the more spammy stuff (DEBUG was occupied, so fine DEBUG +
>1).
>
>This was exemplified with the many variations of:
>  #define LOGI(...) PR_LOG(..., PR_LOG_DEBUG)
>  #define LOGV(...) PR_LOG(..., PR_LOG_DEBUG + 1)
>
>Note: For LOGI, to me at least, 'I' => Info
>Flipside of course the 'V' => Verbose, but I think this a semantic
>issue. Debug and Verbose are essentially the same thing now that we have
>Info.

Only if you avoid the "which module debug pattern am I in" question by
switching *all* non-verbose uses of PR_LOG_DEBUG to PR_LOG_INFO
(basically remap DEBUG to INFO, so that verbose logging can own the
"DEBUG" level... but this seems way overkill (and liable to cause
horrible ongoing confusion) compared to allowing a "PR_LOG_VERBOSE" level.

PR_LOG_VERBOSE is clear and understandable.  Modules where normal debugs
are on INFO and you-likely-don't-want-it is on DEBUG will cause
ongoing mental anguish and mismatch, and confusion for new contributors.

>We can see this ambiguity in various logging frameworks, generally there's
>a debug, but if there's not there's a verbose/trace, and usually not both.

Though Android has both.

--
Randell Jesup, Mozilla Corp
remove "news" for personal email