Hi,

In Gaia the Systems Front End team is implementing the Pinning the Web
design concept [1] which amongst other things represents "pinned" web pages
as cards on the homescreen. The goal is that where possible these cards
should not just be a thumbnail screenshot of the page, but should be a
meaningful representation of key metadata associated with the page based on
a particular "type", and even associated actions.

The idea is that these cards could be generated from the Linked Data [2]
that many web pages already include for the consumption of search engines
(to create "rich snippets" in search results) but which browsers currently
ignore.

All the big search engines agree on schemas for this data at schema.org [3]
but they support multiple formats for encoding this information in a web
page including Microdata, RDFa and JSON-LD. In short, there's a format war
going on.

In the protoype we created [4] we supported some basic use cases by parsing
Open Graph meta tags from web pages [5], Open Graph [6] being a kind of
simplified form of RDFa.

For the real implementation I suggest we investigate supporting one or more
formats for Linked Data in web pages (based on level of adoption) and
surface them to Gaia through a linkeddatachange event on the Browser API. I
propose that the payload of this event should be the contents of the Linked
Data expressed in JSON-LD [7].

JSON-LD is a W3C recommendation and can be used to express data from any of
the other Linked Data formats. The JSON encoding is particularly suitable
for the use cases in Gaia as it can easily be parsed in JavaScript and
stored in the places database in IndexedDB/DataStore.

The best data I've found so far on adoption of these formats is from the
University of Mannheim [8] and maybe suggests that Microdata is on the
increase while RDFa is staying relatively constant, but it's far from
clear. And this study doesn't include data for JSON-LD usage.

In an ideal world we'd support RDFa, Microdata and JSON-LD and convert them
all into JSON-LD for consumption in Gaia, but we could also pick a side in
the format war based on usage data.

Has support for Linked Data been looked into before? Is this something we
can get into the platform?

Thanks

Ben

1.