On 2015年05月31日 01:36, Philip Chee wrote:
> On 29/05/2015 22:31, ISHIKAWA, Chiaki wrote:
>
>> I figured out the particular cause of
>> test-cloudfile-backend-hightail.js.
>> experienced during |make mozmill| when I simulated "short read" and
>> "short write" to files
>> under the profile directory used by the test was that
>> *.db files managed by Berkeley DB 1.85 (presumably by the code below
>> mozilla/security/nss/lib/dbm/src/) experienced failures.
>
> According to Google, current versions of NSS can use SQLite for its
> backend. Butt the file names are different:
>
> key3.db -> key4.db
> cert8.db -> cert9.db
> secmod.db -> pkcs11.txt
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/NSS_Shared_DB
> https://blogs.oracle.com/meena/entry/what_s_new_in_nss1

SQLite seems to be solid in handling short read/write among many
advantages it has. My emulation of short read/write was done against
sqlite databases during tests, and I have not seen problems caused by them
if I am not mistaken. SQLite library handles the necessary additional reads
automagically.

> Advantage is that Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey can all share the same files

Frankly, I have no background to comment on this. But maybe if one needs to add
local certificates due to organizational issues, there will be one less
additional data base to take care of.

So it looks replacing the current code with the new NSS code/backend
seems a win in the long run.

>> However, now that Sleepycat has been bought by Oracle, I am not sure
>> what is the good option left.
>
> I think v5 of Berkeley DB is still under the Sleepycat licence.

Aha, that sounds good.
Oracle web page I referred to has a link to v6 code, though.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-technologies/berkeleydb/downloads/index.html

If I am not mistaken, it even claims to have SQL interface based on SQLite.
I don't know if it is done via talking to a separate engine or
even incorporate the SQLite source code inside.

CI